Cruising the darkness…
TOKEN HOMO is dedicated to the love of watching badly-behaved movies, from big-studio productions to the ‘mess, muscle & wonder’ (1) of the exploitation independents.
First up: THE COMPLETE DAVID DECOTEAU project.
ABOUT TOKEN HOMO
Horror movies made me queer. Well, not quite… but they sure helped! My love affair with the genre cemented young with an illicit purchase of 3 classics from a VHS rental library fire sale – EXORCIST, TEXAS CHAIN SAW & EVIL DEAD. Before then it had all been about giant apes & invasive seed pods…
Cinema’s most impolite of genres has shaped my sense of what’s queer & transgressive ever since. My title was inspired by queer auteur David DeCoteau’s background in Hollywood’s exploitation industry:
“I was sort of the ‘token homo’ in the business, & most of the day I’d be filming naked women & crashing cars” (2).
It reminds me of the solitary queers seen on horror screens & that moment when you feel like the only – impolite! – queer in the audience… TOKEN HOMO is further indebted to Blossom Lefcourt’s personal acts of rebellion (3), Boyd McDonald’s ‘unabashedly sexual & unapologetically political’ film fandom (4), & Kim Newman’s completist urge for the under-appreciated (5).
- Bruce Hainley quoted in “Cruising The Movies: A Sexual Guide To Oldies On TV”, Boyd McDonald (1985/2015).
- David DeCoteau quoted in “Meet David DeCoteau, the King of Homoerotic On Demand Schlock” by Will Sloan, Flavorwire.com, 28 OCT 2014.
- “TITTY-LATION: On ‘Double Agent 73’” by Blossom Lefcourt in “The Films Of Doris Wishman” edited by Peggy Awesh (2019).
- William E. Jones writing in “Cruising The Movies: A Sexual Guide To Oldies On TV”, Boyd McDonald (1985/2015).
- “Video Dungeon: The Collected Reviews”, Kim Newman (2017).
TOKEN HOMO is a RADIANT CIRCUS sideshow project.
Featured Image: IMMORTAL KISS: QUEEN OF THE NIGHT (2012).